Sunday, March 25, 2012

A4 printing

Hi,
I have problems with A4 printing from the RSClientPrint activex.
I defined the size of my report to 21cm x 29,7cm (the A4 format) but
when printing the printer is set on a "personalized paper" format
instead of "A4" format.
So the user need to specify the A4 format each time he need to print a
report.
When I set the format to 8,5in x 11.5in the format is correctly
detected by the printer as a "letter(8,5"x11")". So if it's possible to
make understand to the printer that the format is "letter" it could be
possible to make it understand the A4 format, but I don't see how.
For me it's the last thing I need to make Reporting Services a valid
end user reporting tool.
I try this on several printers with several reports and they all do the
same thing.
Thanks for your responses.I don't think there is really much you can do here. The ActiveX control
passes the report sizes to the printer and let's the printer driver
determine what to do with these values. For some reason the driver is not
matching the values up with the A4 paper size, but it does for 8.5 X 11.
Does it work for other paper sizes, like legal, or 11 x 17?
--
-Daniel
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Sébastien Guillot" <s.guillot@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1126536856.799335.33940@.z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com...
> Hi,
> I have problems with A4 printing from the RSClientPrint activex.
> I defined the size of my report to 21cm x 29,7cm (the A4 format) but
> when printing the printer is set on a "personalized paper" format
> instead of "A4" format.
> So the user need to specify the A4 format each time he need to print a
> report.
> When I set the format to 8,5in x 11.5in the format is correctly
> detected by the printer as a "letter(8,5"x11")". So if it's possible to
> make understand to the printer that the format is "letter" it could be
> possible to make it understand the A4 format, but I don't see how.
> For me it's the last thing I need to make Reporting Services a valid
> end user reporting tool.
> I try this on several printers with several reports and they all do the
> same thing.
> Thanks for your responses.
>|||Thanks for your response.
I tried 8.5 x 11, it takes me Legal (8,5" x 14"),
11"x17" -> Personalized paper format
8.5"x14" -> Personalized paper format
21cm x 29.7cm -> Personalized paper format
210mm x 297mm -> Personalized paper format
As you said it depend on how the printer interpret the values.
This problem appears most of time on multifunctionnal laser printers
how can receive multiple paper formats. On inkjet printer with only A4
paper it works better.
But, I think it's possible to make understand to the printer the right
format. All the rest of applications like Word, Excel,... managed to do
this so there's no good reason for the activex to not managed to do
this.
I see while searching answers thru several forums and newsgroup that
this problem occurs to a number a person all over the world.
So, it could be usefull to have a clear answer on how we need to set
page heigth and width for the A4 format.
(Sorry for my poor english, I tried to be as clear as possible)|||Yes, it would have been possible to do paper size detection in the print
control code. We sampled several printers and each printer handled
different paper sizes correctly. We have however noted the response from
customers regarding this issue and will consider adding it in a future
release.
--
-Daniel
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
"Sébastien Guillot" <s.guillot@.gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1126594138.934122.74600@.f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Thanks for your response.
> I tried 8.5 x 11, it takes me Legal (8,5" x 14"),
> 11"x17" -> Personalized paper format
> 8.5"x14" -> Personalized paper format
> 21cm x 29.7cm -> Personalized paper format
> 210mm x 297mm -> Personalized paper format
>
> As you said it depend on how the printer interpret the values.
> This problem appears most of time on multifunctionnal laser printers
> how can receive multiple paper formats. On inkjet printer with only A4
> paper it works better.
> But, I think it's possible to make understand to the printer the right
> format. All the rest of applications like Word, Excel,... managed to do
> this so there's no good reason for the activex to not managed to do
> this.
> I see while searching answers thru several forums and newsgroup that
> this problem occurs to a number a person all over the world.
> So, it could be usefull to have a clear answer on how we need to set
> page heigth and width for the A4 format.
> (Sorry for my poor english, I tried to be as clear as possible)
>

No comments:

Post a Comment