Thursday, March 29, 2012

About a RS version and previous conditions of use

I own a Windows Small Bussiness 2003 license which includes SQL server 2000
Standard Edition and additionally came with a version of Reporting Services.
I want to learn and use it (Reporting Services) as a beginner but when I
try to install it a message appears indicating that I need to install or
configure previously two products:
a) Visual Studio .Net 2003
b) IIS 5.0
Do I need both of 'em just to begin doing simple reports?
I supposed a simple use like I could obtain through Crystal reports 7.0 or
so on.
Please, help me.
Probably next year we will migrate to a new version of Microsoft SBS
Is it worth to do efforts with the versions I own nowadays or not?
Thanks alot in advance.
--
sanpetusRS 2000 report designer require some copy of VS 2003 to be installed. In the
past VB.net 2003 was the cheapest way to do this (about $100). I don't know
now. Note that the VB 2005 will not work for this.
In RS 2005 it comes with a version of VS 2005 so no additional purchase is
necessary.
RS is a asp.net application and as such it needs IIS. IIS comes with all
servers. It might need to configured though.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"sanpetus" <sanpetus@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:14FE57B4-A059-4B0F-8539-C9D64CBAA6B6@.microsoft.com...
>I own a Windows Small Bussiness 2003 license which includes SQL server 2000
> Standard Edition and additionally came with a version of Reporting
> Services.
> I want to learn and use it (Reporting Services) as a beginner but when I
> try to install it a message appears indicating that I need to install or
> configure previously two products:
> a) Visual Studio .Net 2003
> b) IIS 5.0
> Do I need both of 'em just to begin doing simple reports?
> I supposed a simple use like I could obtain through Crystal reports 7.0 or
> so on.
> Please, help me.
> Probably next year we will migrate to a new version of Microsoft SBS
> Is it worth to do efforts with the versions I own nowadays or not?
> Thanks alot in advance.
> --
> sanpetus

No comments:

Post a Comment