Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Abnormally Large Backup Files

Hi All,
We seem to have an issue with our backup routine for one of the databases.
On a daily basis, we have one of our databases back up to disk. However, I
noticed that our backup file is huge (39GB!). I checked the database, and
it says it is only using 586MB of space. I also checked the transaction
log, and it says it is using 100MB of space.
We have a weekly backup of the database, and it only takes up 921MB, so I
can't see why the daily backup takes up so much room. Does it append to the
existing backup? If so, how can I selectively remove old backups from it?
I looked at the backup routine, and here's the SQL that is run:
BACKUP DATABASE [NAPROD] TO DISK = N'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\NAPROD daily production backup.BAK' WITH NOINIT ,
NOUNLOAD , NAME = N'NAPROD daily production backup ', NOSKIP , STATS = 10, DESCRIPTION = N'Navision production database backup ', NOFORMAT
Looking at it, I can't see any problem. I'd really like to get this file
down to something more manageable, as it is killing our backup program.
Any ideas would be appreciated! :)
Thanks!
Brian.Change the NOINIT to INIT.
--
Andrew J. Kelly
SQL Server MVP
"Brian Piotrowski" <bpiotrowski@.simcoeparts.com> wrote in message
news:%23xbCmNvRDHA.1688@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Hi All,
> We seem to have an issue with our backup routine for one of the databases.
> On a daily basis, we have one of our databases back up to disk. However,
I
> noticed that our backup file is huge (39GB!). I checked the database, and
> it says it is only using 586MB of space. I also checked the transaction
> log, and it says it is using 100MB of space.
> We have a weekly backup of the database, and it only takes up 921MB, so I
> can't see why the daily backup takes up so much room. Does it append to
the
> existing backup? If so, how can I selectively remove old backups from it?
> I looked at the backup routine, and here's the SQL that is run:
> BACKUP DATABASE [NAPROD] TO DISK = N'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
> Server\MSSQL\BACKUP\NAPROD daily production backup.BAK' WITH NOINIT ,
> NOUNLOAD , NAME = N'NAPROD daily production backup ', NOSKIP , STATS => 10, DESCRIPTION = N'Navision production database backup ', NOFORMAT
> Looking at it, I can't see any problem. I'd really like to get this file
> down to something more manageable, as it is killing our backup program.
> Any ideas would be appreciated! :)
> Thanks!
> Brian.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment